Got bulbs? Soon, you will be required to buy the new compact fluorescents. No more incadescent bulbs. Here is an article I, for the most part, blatantly plagiarized from www.ehow.com.
Decreased Learning Ability
Additional Symptoms from Mercury Vapor Inhalation
If a mercury vapor lamp breaks in a room with low ventilation, direct inhalation of elemental mercury (mercury vapors) can cause additional symptoms including tremors, emotional changes (mood swings, nervousness, irritability, extreme shyness), insomnia, neuromuscular damage and headaches.
And, direct from the EPA, if you break one:
- Before cleanup
- Have people and pets leave the room.
- Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
- Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
- Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb.
- During cleanup
- Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder.
- Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.
- After cleanup
- Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
- If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.
You will read that “home owners” are exempt because the law is too hard to enforce. However, ALL businesses are NOT exempt. Have a “Home Office” or “Home-Based Business” in the back bedroom or basement? Under the interpretation of the the law, You are NOT exempt. You will be required to comply with disposal regulations. Find a summary here: http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflrecycling.html
in the for what it’s worth department, just for you at Tax Payer expense, a color, 2-page brochure on how safely handle a light bulb. Why not print this and mail it to your wonderful congress persons and senators that caused this rediculous mess??? http://www.epa.gov/cfl/CFL_brochure.pdf